It is possible to prepare this soup easily and quickly, you can also change it into vegetarian. Check out the recipe!
It’s an easy soup to make and is ready in 1 hour. It’s absolutely perfect comfort food that is healthy too.
You can change the soup to vegetarian by using low-sodium vegetable stock rather than chicken stock and made it healthier by using fat-free half-and-half. But you’d think that it was made with heavy cream based on how thick, rich, and truly decadent it tastes.
There are a few optional spices like smoked paprika, mustard powder, and cayenne pepper. They’re not mandatory if you don’t keep them on hand, but they do add an extra depth of flavor, albeit subtle. The cayenne doesn’t make the soup hot in the least, it makes it not taste boring.
Serves: about 6 cups, serves 4 very generously or 6 to 8 modestly
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: about 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon + 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 small/medium sweet yellow onion, diced small
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced finely
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock (chicken stock may be substituted)
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half (regular half-and-half may be substituted; whole milk or 2%
- milk will work but soup won’t be as creamy)
- 2 to 3 cups broccoli florets, diced into bite-size pieces + 1 cups stems, optional (I used 3
- cups florets and 1 cup stems as not to waste them)
- 2 large carrots, trimmed, peeled, and sliced into very thin rounds, about 1/16th-inch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika or regular paprika, optional and to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder, optional and to taste
- pinch cayenne pepper, optional and to taste (doesn’t make soup spicy and serves to
- enhance flavor)
- 8 ounces grated high-quality extra-sharp cheddar cheese, with a small amount reserved
- for garnishing bowls