These Old Fashioned Sour Cream Cake Donuts are UNREAL. The inside is soft, tender and cakey; and the outside is crispy with a classic sweet glaze.
And they weren’t that difficult! They are easier to mix than cake. They spend a little time in the refrigerator and then you cut them out like cookies. Then they hang out a little longer in the refrigerator. Then in under 2 minutes, you have perfect old-fashioned donuts! It’s kind of dangerous now that I know that they are this easy.
For the Donuts:
- 240 g Granulated sugar (1 ¼ cups)
- 36 g butter ( 2.5 tablespoons)
- 90 g egg yolks (about 5 large yolks)
- 380 g sour cream (1 ½ cups)
- 600 g pastry flour, All-Purpose flour is fine ( 4 ¾ cups)
- 15 g baking powder (1 tablespoon + ¾ teaspoon)
- 12 g kosher salt (1 tablespoon)
- 96 fl oz Oil for frying (I used canola)
For the Glaze:
- 100 g whole milk (100ML)
- 4 g kosher salt (1 teaspoon)
- 400 g powdered sugar (3 ¼ cups)