Creamy Parmesan Carbonara Chicken is the ultimate twist! Crispy, golden chicken fillets in a carbonara-inspired sauce for a new favorite chicken recipe!
Usually, a traditional carbonara sauce is made with reserved pasta water, eggs, and parmesan cheese, all mixed through cooked/warm pasta to create a creamy sauce. Even though this recipe contains NO EGG, I’ve kept all of your favorite carbonara flavors for when the craving hits!
Dying for a big, full bowl of pasta smothered in a carbonara sauce back then, I opted for something even better. Chicken. Beautiful, juicy golden chicken fillets, swimming in the most amazing creamy bacon ‘carbonara-inspired’ sauce. With this recipe, you can serve it with your favorite pasta, OR over rice or vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli or zucchini noodles go really well with this).
For The Chicken
- 2 large boneless and skinless chicken breasts, halved horizontally to make 4 filets
- 2 heaping tablespoons flour (all purpose or plain)
- 3 tablespoons finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cracked pepper
For The Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter (or sub with oil)
- 8-ounces | 250 grams bacon, trimmed of fat and cut into strips (I use shortcut bacon in Australia)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 large cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups half and half (or use reduced fat cream or evaporated milk)*
- ½ cup finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch (cornflour) mixed with 2 teaspoons of water