The gooiest chocolate zucchini brownies ever. You’d never guess these are healthy and made with whole grains, zucchini, and that applesauce takes the place of oil.
These chocolate zucchini brownies have no added fat (except what’s in the chocolate chips) and are full of zucchini and whole grains (but really do not taste like it) so you can feel good about giving these to your children.
Really, unless your kids watch you make these, there’s no way that they’ll be able to tell that these chocolate brownies have zucchini in them. Or that they’re whole wheat or whole spelt.
Use a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan and bake for only 14 minutes. It is highly recommended not to decrease the amount of chocolate chips in the batter. You can definitely skip the ones on top but these zucchini brownies rely on the sweetness and flavor from the chocolate chips.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 35 min
Total Time: 45 min
Yield: 16 brownies
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or unrefined sugar or granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup (125 grams) whole wheat flour or whole spelt flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (45 grams) Dutch-process cocoa powder (using regular cocoa powder may result in cakey brownies)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (about 300 – 320 grams) peeled and grated zucchini
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips + 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips to sprinkle on top (for dairy-free, use Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips)