This chocolate Italian sponge cake recipe doesn’t require so many ingredients, it is easy to prepare too and taste so delicious. Check out!
Italian sponge cake (Pan di Spagna) is used in desserts like cassata, Zuppa Inglese, and tiramisù. It can be soaked with your favorite mixture and layered with cream fillings or jam, covered with fondant, or just eaten on its own sprinkled with icing sugar.
You only need 4 ingredients: eggs, granulated sugar, cake flour and unsweetened cocoa powder. It’s made without butter, oil and baking powder; it relies solely on well-beaten eggs for its leavening.
You can prepare the chocolate Italian sponge cake up to 3 days ahead, wrap it in cling film. And keep it in the fridge. You can also wrap it in cling film and freeze it for up to a month. To defrost it, take it out from the freezer the night before and thaw it unwrapped at room temperature.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 120 grams (½ cup+1½ tablespoon) granulated sugar
- 4 extra large eggs at room temperature
- 100 grams (1 cup minus 2 tablespoons – if you use all-purpose flour, 100 grams = 1 cup
- minus 1 tablespoon) cake flour sifted
- 20 grams (3 tablespoons) unsweetened cocoa powder