This french toast casserole is an ultimate breakfast, so delicious! Stuffed with cream cheese and dripping in maple syrup, it is a great meal to start your day with.
You don’t need an excuse to make baked french toast casserole. Especially when it’s stuffed with cream cheese and dripping in maple syrup.
Not only is it the ultimate breakfast comfort food born to please even the pickiest eaters, french toast casserole is actually incredibly simple. And something you can prep at night to make the following morning a breeze.
The most important ingredient in any overnight french toast casserole is the bread. Don’t skimp here. Flimsy white sliced bread won’t do you any favors and the casserole usually ends up tasting soggy and lacking texture. Rather, go for a fancy beauty like challah bread. French toast made with challah bread tastes better than french toast made with any other bread.
Serves: 12 Servings
prep time: 30 Minutes
total time: 9 HOURS, 25 Minutes
- 1 (12-14 ounce) loaf french bread, sourdough bread, or challah1
- 8 ounces (224g) brick-style cream cheese, softened to room temperature2
- 2 Tablespoons (15g) confectioners’ sugar (don’t leave it out, trust me)
- 3 teaspoons (15ml) vanilla extract, divided
- 8 large Eggland’s Best eggs
- 2 and 1/4 cups (540ml) whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup (133g) packed light brown sugar